This Bavarian classic can easily be re-created with ingredients you can find in every US supermarket. It’s a perfect dip for your next BBQ, as an after-work snack with a cold beer or give it a try at your Oktoberfest party this year.
makes 4 servings
- 1 lb brie cheese or 1 lb camembert cheese, coarsely chopped
- 6 ounces cream cheese
- 1/4 cup butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1 pinch sweet paprika
- salt / freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup diced Spanish onion
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced onions (for garnish)
- 1 tbsp chopped chives
- Place the brie or camembert (for example Champignon Camembert) in a medium bowl.
- Add the cream cheese, butter, and caraway seeds.
- Add paprika, and salt and pepper to taste; beat well to combine.
- In a strainer, rinse the diced onion under cold water.
- Drain and transfer to a clean kitchen towel, squeezing out all the liquid.
- Fold the onions into the cheese mixture.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours, allowing the flavors to melt, or store, covered and refrigerated, for up to 4 days.
- Sprinkle with chives and garnish with red onion rings.
Best served with soft bretzels or any type of German bread and a cold beer!